Tips on how to conduct a remote interview successfully
- Make sure you have the correct login details for the interview in good time. You should do a test run beforehand to make sure that you can login and that you have strong WIFI to ensure that there are no technical hitches.
- If this is the first time you have been interviewed remotely, you could do some practice runs through skype with a friend or colleague.
- Dress code should be the same as a face to face interview as they are meeting you for the first time. Remember even in a remote interview, first impressions count.
- Make sure there will be no noises or interference In the background. The interview should be conducted in a quiet space and the background should be like a blank canvas. So no clothes hanging up behind you or dogs barking!
- Preparation for the interview should be the same as a face to face interview. For tips on how to answer some of the toughest interview questions click on A guide to answering tough interview questions
- Know your CV inside and out, know dates, titles etc.
- Avoid reading of notes so memorise the questions/preparation that you have in advance.
- Avoid a lot of hand movements.
- Make eye contact with the interviewer(s) on the screen, as much as possible, in the same way as you would a face to face conversation.
- Remember to relax and smile.
Keane McDonald is an international executive legal recruitment firm focusing on legal appointments. For further information on legal jobs, please contact the team on +353 1 6087713 (Dublin) or +61 405 216 810 (Sydney).